Laura Huval is an Grammy Nominated recording artist and composer, seasoned music minister, Catholic school music educator, keynote speaker, cultural advocate, and founder of Joyful Noise Ministries. She inspires and engages all audiences with her powerful music, life-changing workshops, and love for God.
Laura is a native of the culturally rich community of Cecilia, Louisiana, located in the region of Acadiana. She is a parishioner of St. Joseph Catholic Church and has served as a music minister for over twenty years. She was brought up in a home filled with music and love for the Lord. Her father, the late Grammy-nominated Cajun musician, Al Berard, along with her mother and sisters were all members of the St. Joseph Church Choir.
Laura is the music teacher at St. Genevieve Catholic School in Lafayette, Louisiana, and was named Educator of the Year in 2015. She has served the church in many capacities. She served on the Diocesan Pastoral Council as the Youth Representative (Diocese of Lafayette). At her home parish, Huval has served as a music minister, youth choir director, parish convocation team leader, ministries fair organizer, parish-wide workshop facilitator, and a faith formation teacher.
In 2019, she founded Joyful Noise Ministries, with the mission of “Spreading the Gospel one song at a time.” She uses her gifts of music and teaching to share the Good News, while the ultimate goal of the ministry is to teach people how to pray and worship with sacred and contemporary hymns.
In March 2020, she released her debut faith-based album, It’s Never Too Late. The songs were inspired by some of her favorite scripture passages, prayers, and life experiences. Her conviction shines through her music and her faith is not compromised in her message.
Laura is no stranger to the music industry and has been performing for over twenty years with many music legends. She is a member of the award-winning family trio, Sweet Cecilia. Their music is deeply rooted in country, rock, folk, gospel, and Cajun influences. They have performed at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, Festival Acadiens et Creoles, and other international festivals. In April 2020, Laura was honored to be a nominee for the Recording Academy Memphis Chapter Board.
Huval also performs with her husband, accordionist, Adrian Huval. She and her husband Adrian have two sons, Nate and Rex, and reside in Cecilia, Louisiana.
Education and Recognition:
- B.S. Bachelor of Science, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA (Secondary Education with a Concentration in Social Studies and a Minor in History)
- Catechist Certification
- Safe Environment Trained: Diocese of Lafayette, Louisiana
- Certified Gifted and Talented Music Teacher (State of Louisiana)
- 20 years as pastoral musician, vocalist, and songwriter
- 2012-present- Music Teacher at St. Genevieve Catholic School (Lafayette, LA)
- 2014-2015- Educator of the Year, St Genevieve Catholic School (Lafayette, LA)
- 2018 to Present: Member of the Leadership Team at St. Genevieve School (Lafayette, LA) which is dedicated to continuous improvement in the school
- 6 years as a classroom teacher (Cecilia High School, Social Studies)2009-2010 Teacher of the Year (Cecilia High School)
- Youth Representative for the Diocesan Pastoral Council for the Diocese of Lafayette (2009-2011)
- 2014 to Present: Co-Founder of the Al Berard Memorial Music Fund at Community Foundation of Acadiana
- 2018 to Present: Co-Chair of the Cecilia et Les Alentours Cultural District in Cecilia, LA
- 2014-2016- Director of the Al Berard Music Festival
- 2019-Present- Co-Founder of the Fete de la Musique Louisane (St. Martin Parish Music Festival)
- 2021 Grammy Nomination for Best Regional Roots Album with Sweet Cecilia for A Tribute to Al Berard
Lafayette Storytellers featuring Laura Huval